Tuesday 2 October 2012

Before Hollywood (Or; why I'm f*cked up)

Before we begin, an explanation and a disclaimer. All events in these diary entries are true, apart from those that aren't. I've had to change names, ages, descriptions to protect the identity of those I work for and with. I am posting this with the full consent of my boss (He's awesome). There will be a LOT of swearing. If this offends you, please do not read.

I'm a British girl who ran off to Hollywood. You'll see why later. The events I'm mentioning are in the past and not a day by day up date. When we get up to speed, I will continue posting on a day to day basis as interesting things arise. It'll all make sense after the second or third post, but I don't want to post it all at once.


It would never work. He’s a smoker, I’m anti-smoking. He’s worships Jack Daniels and I’m a teetotal-er. He has a son, I don’t like kids. He’s beautiful, talented and popular, I’m none of those things. He’s a Hollywood movie star and I’m…well…

 29 and still living with my parents. Left in debt by an ex after an 8 year relationship. Crappy retail job. No prospects. No boyfriend. No friends. No talents, not pretty. Hollywood was the natural choice. What was I thinking?

 I run. I run when things get hard or complicated. I’ve done it all my life, and whilst it’s not something I’m proud of, it is a survival tactic.

The one time I didn’t run? I ended up ten grand in debt and my parents had to bail me out. Not good. Not good at all.

 We’d been together for 8 years so I thought I could trust him. He had an IVA (basically he was riddled with debt and couldn’t pay it off) so couldn’t get a phone contract, loan, finance, credit card etc. etc. I had always been really careful with money to the point of misery. My parents borrowed from me because I always had savings. I had rubbish jobs, but was so careful, I was always ok. Then he came along.

          I’d been single for two years and he was the first guy to pay me any attention. I was lonely. He seemed like a good guy. Seemed like. Three years older with his own car, he seemed so mature. I was 20 and had never learned to drive. He was freedom. I needed out of my parent’s house. We were together a year before I realised I had absolutely nothing resembling attraction for him. He actually repulsed me physically. I didn’t want him touching me. We continued on in some semblance of a partnership. He had been a virgin so had no idea about relationships and I’d only been with one guy before him. It was normal to hate your partner right? Right? No? Oh…

          So, after nearly 8 years, he starts becoming very interested in his appearance. He was hitting 30 so I assumed it was an early midlife crisis, but he was always talking about a particular woman at work called Kirsty. It was suspect. I asked if anything was going on which he vehemently denied. I was being paranoid he said. Yeah, sure. She sent him a birthday card with an essay in it and he was sticking to a diet for the first time since I’d known him. He was exercising, getting contacts, buying new clothes… I asked him so many times what was going on, but of course I was being paranoid. We needed a new car, so obviously that was down to me to get the loan. 7 and a half grand along with the 2 grand credit card we’d run up (because he couldn’t get credit). The second the money was through, we bought a car. In cash. I thought nothing of it at the time. The car’s details were never out of his sight and in his name (I couldn’t drive so again, thought nothing of it). The rest of the money was transferred into his bank account at his request for bills. I thought nothing of it. Stupid, naïve girl! But after that long, you’d think you’d be able to trust someone. Apparently not.

          He came home one day from work, after I’d been making a meal from scratch ready for him when he got back. He wanted to be with her. He’d arranged to stay at a friend’s house because he knew I would go mental. I wasn’t being paranoid after all. Fucking Bastard.

The parts I don’t understand; she’s older than me, fat and has a huge gap between her teeth, looks like she’s been hit in the face with a spade and has two kids. And is still married. Oh the face book conversations with her husband! What fun I had. And by fun, I mean agonising torture when he wouldn’t believe me.

          And I thought I could win him back. I thought I wanted him back. He left me with a rented house that I couldn’t afford on my own, bills, two cats that I would have to re-home (they were my precious babies.) ten grand of debt and nowhere to go. My parents had given my room to my brother, and his room was now a ‘storage room’.

I cried. A lot. I contemplated suicide. I got so far as cutting down the washing line, setting up a step ladder under the loft hatch and had the thing around my neck. Unfortunately my cats were staring at me with such curious expressions that I felt incredibly guilty. I should have been thinking about my family, but no, it was my cats that stopped me. That and the sudden lightning strike of realisation that I was actually free of him. Those wasted years of my life with that fat, lazy, disgusting, racist, sexist man who thought mocking disabled people was funny. The one who would get pissed off with me when I woke up in the middle of the night having an anxiety attack and would beg him to talk me down from it. The one who had been lying to me for seven years, telling me he had quit smoking, when everyone knew he hadn’t. Everyone except me that is. The one who ran from all responsibility and left me to sort a house out to hand back. The one who then stole the deposit on the rented house that my parents had leant us. That ‘man’. I didn’t want him back, I just didn’t want to be alone. I was utterly petrified of it. Nothing frightened me more than that. There was also the shame of having to move back home as I was unable to support myself. He had earned a lot more than me and I couldn’t afford to live somewhere on my wages. I had a house full of things that I loved, books I had imported from Japan, figurines, clothes, everything that a house generally holds…I had to give it all away or sell it at car boot sales for pennies. My whole life was laid out on a couple of tables, all priced up for criminal discounts. All those things I had spent my wages on, my precious, precious books. My life for sale to anyone who’d buy it because I just didn’t have the room in the 8x5 room at my parent’s. God that hurt. And re-homing my precious Hephaistian and Freya… I still can’t talk about that without welling up.

          In the beginning he promised to pay for the loan, after all, he’d had every penny of it. That soon changed once he had collected everything of his from the house. I stupidly packed everything for him, carefully wrapping everything and giving him most of the things that were mine that he’d bought me. I should have emptied the cat’s litter trays into those boxes, or hacked all this clothes to pieces. I should have sold all his things so he had some idea of what I had been through, but I didn’t. I’m not like that. Stupid, naïve girl, I thought he would pay me back and wanted to keep him sweet so that he did. On the plus side, his Xbox was covered in Hello Kitty stickers from when I had redecorated it months ago.

          So there I was, 27, moving back in with my parents, drowning in debt and bitter, twisted and so angry from what that son of a bitch had done to me. I only cried once in front of my parents, and that was when I mentioned my cats. I didn’t want them to worry about me, but I was falling apart.

Antidepressants were part of my staple diet long before all this, but dosages increased, sleep didn’t happen, caffeine was abused and food neglected. I got my bellybutton and ears pierced ( a little late compared to everyone else) but it made me feel like I was changing, growing, progressing. It was something I had never had the guts to do before. I would come out of this stronger than ever, brave and determined.

Only it didn’t work like that. I’m a wreck. A nervous, anxious mess of a thing, frightened of people and the world. I don’t trust anyone. Oh and the best part? I hate sex. Yeah, like I wasn’t going to die alone anyway, no man is going to live without sex.

          I’ve been seeing a sexual therapist, but her ‘homework’ is the stuff of my nightmares. Examining my nether regions in the mirror? Masturbating in the shower, the bath, in bed, at least three times a week. I don’t do that. I never have. It makes me feel dirty and disgusting, plus I’ve never wanted to do it. I’ve never felt the need to. The rest of the world is out there having sex and using ‘toys’ and all I care about are puppies, kittens, computer games, movies and music. I’m screwed. I’m going to die a crazy cat lady that scares all the neighbourhood kids, still living in my parent’s house that I will inherit once they die. I’ll be a crazy hoarder who can’t move in her house because it’s full of newspapers, knickknacks and a hundred cats who will eat my corpse when I die. Eleanor Rigby had more mourners than I will have at my funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Please feel free to add them, but be aware that sometimes I am crazy busy with work so may not reply instantly x